Archive for Paintapalooza Paintball Forum
 


       Paintapalooza Forum Index -> Thoughts and Opinions
Smitty

Any little drummer boys out there?

I've been getting more and more into playing the drums, and I was looking into getting a trap set. I was wondering what my best option would be for around $400 or so. I've looked at some ludwig stuff and some yamaha. A lot of it doesn't have much for $400. I'd like one with the basic bass, 2 toms on the base, floor tom, snare setup, and then the high-hat with hopefully a crash, ride, and splash if I could find one. I could always save up and get some other symbols later. Any help is appreaciated. Also, if you could get me a link that'd be great. Thanks.
abr5

I used to be a drummer, and a damn good one if i must say so myself.

I was more of a classical Snare drummer, rather than drumset, soo... I can't help ya out with that one.
Smitty

Well I found a pretty decent one with pretty much everything I wanted. I'm thinking about this set:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pr...ls-and-Black-Hardware-?sku=445369

It's got the crash, ride, and hi-hat like I wanted all with the 5 piece set. Anyone have any comments or suggestions? It seems decent, and it comes with quite a bit for the price.
tigman250

i would check eBay Smitty
abr5

That drum is ok. I have a Taye Orbitone. They sell thier drums to Yamaha, and yamaha puts thier name on it, and jacks up the price 200 bucks. Its a good kit, but new symbols are a must
Smitty

abr5 wrote:
That drum is ok. I have a Taye Orbitone. They sell thier drums to Yamaha, and yamaha puts thier name on it, and jacks up the price 200 bucks. Its a good kit, but new symbols are a must
Well I don't really care a ton about it sounding perfect. I just want a decent sound. I'm not looking on spending a lot on all of this.
pb125

From my experience, Pulse kits are usually crummy as hell.

If you're gonna get a kit in the low price range, go for a pearl or tama. They make the best entry level kits.

I used to own this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAMSS52H6C

It can be found for a much lower price elsewhere on the internet. Your music shop should be cheaper to. I traded in my saxophone and ended up paying about 300 for it back in the day.

It's the perfect entry-level kit.
Smitty

pb125 wrote:
From my experience, Pulse kits are usually crummy as hell.

If you're gonna get a kit in the low price range, go for a pearl or tama. They make the best entry level kits.

I used to own this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAMSS52H6C

It can be found for a much lower price elsewhere on the internet. Your music shop should be cheaper to. I traded in my saxophone and ended up paying about 300 for it back in the day.

It's the perfect entry-level kit.
Ummm wow...That's a little too much for me right now. Can you please explain to me why the pulse kit is "crummy".
pb125

Basically, it's just a cheaply made beginner kit.

The sound is below par, the cymbals that pulse give you are complete trash,as are most cymbals that come with drum kits.

If you want to play some gigs later on, this set won't handle it too well. The tama I linked you to, is still a beginner kit,but it did just fine in the gigs i played in.

Basically, I don't suggest spending <450-500 on your first kit, because you'll just end up wishing you got something a tad better.

Hopefully you have come to realize what a huge investment drums can be, money wise. After a month you are going to want to replace the drum heads that come with the drums, which are always horrible. And the cymbals are manageable at best , but you're also going to want to get new ones.

But if you are doubting whether or not you will take drumming seriously, then the Pulse may not be a terrible choice. That way you won't be out too much when you give them up after a few months, as a lot of people do.



Hope I could offer some insight.


*EDIT* Another sidenote, that kit doesnt include a throne. Just thought I'd let you know. So plan on spending some more for that.
Smitty

I noticed it doesn't have a throne. I won't be doing any gigs or starting a band with mine or anything. It's more of a time passer. I do have fun playing, but I'm not serious into drumming, nor will I be. It's mainly just something to do in my free time. I think I might go ahead and get that kit. The parents put a price limit at $400, so this will leave me with some room for a cheap throne. Thanks for the help guys.
P8ntBallKing10

I play the drum set, i would sell u mine but im still usuin um, sorry, try ebay maybe or some online stores.
Smitty

P8ntBallKing10 wrote:
I play the drum set, i would sell u mine but im still usuin um, sorry, try ebay maybe or some online stores.
What kind do you have?
P8ntBallKing10

this one, got it for christmas



http://www.zzounds.com/item--GREMCE825PT
Smitty

Eh. I don't like the two floor toms. And it's too much for me anyway.
Smitty

Well since I'm gonna be selling the paintball stuff, I might have some more cash to help pay for this, so I'm thinking about this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pr...-ZBT-Cymbal-Set-Bundle?sku=443278

And then I'll get 2 stands (one for a crash and one for the splash) and then get a Ziljian ZBT Crash to match the rest. Any comments or suggestions on that?
P8ntBallKing10

That's actaully a very decent drumset, but r u starting on drums or r u an advanced drumer?
Smitty

P8ntBallKing10 wrote:
That's actaully a very decent drumset, but r u starting on drums or r u an advanced drumer?
I'm kind of just starting out. I've been "playing" for less than a month. I've had one lesson, if you could even call it that. A clinic would sound more appropriate. I think a lot of this will be teaching myself.
P8ntBallKing10

Well thats a good drumset, and actually coaching yourslef is easy, thats how my cousin learned to play and hes excelent, but yea, u should have a few lessons at ur local music store or private lessons
Smitty

P8ntBallKing10 wrote:
Well thats a good drumset, and actually coaching yourslef is easy, thats how my cousin learned to play and hes excelent, but yea, u should have a few lessons at ur local music store or private lessons
I'm sure I could get free private or group lessons from our band director's husband. He's got so many drumsets that he won't even tell his wife how many he has or how much he's spent. Razz
Smitty

Well it's ordered. I got the Ludwig kit. I also got 2 stands (one for the free splash and one for the crash), a 16" Ziljian ZBT Crash, Sound impact strips for the bass, and tone control rings for the toms and snare.
pb125

Good job with the kit.

Zbt's are pretty much trash IMO though.

However, they are far better than any stock cymbals a drum company would give you.
Smitty

pb125 wrote:
Good job with the kit.

Zbt's are pretty much trash IMO though.

However, they are far better than any stock cymbals a drum company would give you.
Yeah they're alright for now though. When they really wear out I'll probably upgrade to some better ones, but right now I just don't have the cash.

       Paintapalooza Forum Index -> Thoughts and Opinions
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum